This Diploma programme is designed to provide students with the essential skills required to kick start a strong career in the Food Services sector as a dedicated culinary professional. Graduates are set out with a strong foundation in culinary techniques, comprehensive knowledge in food and beverage as well as competencies in management and entrepreneurship.
Developed under the brand new Skills Framework for Food Services, the WSQ Diploma in Food Services (Culinary Arts) is offered as an integrated programme encompassing skills from Certificate, Higher Certificate, Advanced Certificate and Diploma levels. It is the complete training track for the Diploma qualification.
|Programme||Intakes||Dates#||Application deadline for International Applicants|
|WSQ Diploma in Food Services (Culinary Arts)|
|August 2020||Start: 03 August 2020
End: 9 January 2022
|03 July 2020|
|October 2020||Start: 26 October 2020
End: 3 April 2022
|25 September 2020|
#Commencement date may be subjected to change. Kindly contact the Student Admission for more information.
Mode of Study
The average teacher-to-student ratio is 1:36 for theory lessons and 1:18 for practical lessons.
Theory and practical examinations, practical exercises, presentations, written assignments, projects and class participation.
Duration & Structure
18 months consisting of:
12-month Institutional Training
Students will be expected to complete 38 skills under 19 learning units. The programme consists of 15 to 30 instructional hours per week spread over 4 terms or 2 semesters. Each term is 10 weeks in duration, excluding exam and break weeks.
Applicants who have successfully completed a preceding course in WSQ Certificate / Higher Certificate / Food Services (Culinary Arts) may be eligible for exemptions in relevant subjects and as such complete the institutional training in less than 12 months.
6-month Industrial Attachment
The industrial attachment component combines practical training with hands-on experience that will prepare students well in future careers in the tourism industry.
Students will be placed with approved industry training partners of their choice and a monthly training allowance will be provided during the period of attachment.
WSQ Diploma in Food Services (Culinary Arts) awarded by SkillsFuture Singapore.
- Food Hygiene
- Follow Food and Beverage Safety and Hygiene Policies and Procedures
- Basic Skills for Kitchen Operations
- Demonstrate Basic Knife Skills
- Receive and Store Products
- Maintain Safe and Secure Working Environments
- Prepare Western Cold Sauces
- Professional Development 1
- Project a Positive and Professional Image
Higher Certificate Level
- Fundamentals of Western Cooking
- Prepare Equipment and Ingredients
- Prepare Western Foundation Sauces
- Prepare Basic Western Stocks and Soups
- Principles of Western Cooking
- Prepare Fish and Seafood for Cooking
- Prepare Basic Western Egg and Dairy Products
- Demonstrate Basic Dry Heat Cooking Methods
- Demonstrate Basic Moist Heat Cooking Methods
- Prepare Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts and Mushrooms
- Prepare Basic Western Grains and Legumes
- Prepare Cold Plates and Garnishes
- Restaurant Service Skills for Chefs
- Interact and Serve Food and Beverage Customers
- Prepare for Service (Mise En Place)
- Provide Go-the-Extra-Mile Service
Advanced Certificate Level
- Advanced Culinary Techniques
- Demonstrate Advanced Dry Heat Cooking Techniques
- Demonstrate Advanced Moist Heat Cooking Techniques
- Demonstrate Sous Vide Method
- Food Quality Management
- Conduct Food and Beverage Hygiene Audits
- Supervise Quality Procedures
- Pastry and Baking Techniques
- Demonstrate Baking Techniques, Mixing Methods, and Piping Skills
- Prepare Sweet and Savoury Fillings, Sauces and Creams
- Food Nutrition
- Understand Nutritional Knowledge and Dietary Requirements
- Communication Skills
- Facilitate Effective Communication and Engagement at the Workplace
- Professional Development 2
- Develop Self to Maintain Professional Competence at Supervisory Level
- Specialty Cuisines
- Prepare Various Types of Cuisines
- Prepare Advanced Western Salads and Garnishes
- Specialty Pastries and Desserts
- Prepare Dry Heat and Moist Heat Asian Desserts
- Bake for Health
- Restaurant Concepts
- Apply Food and Beverages Concepts and Set-up
- Food Production Management
- Supervise Food Production
- Maintain Inventories
- Food and Beverage Cost Controls for Chefs
- Manage Cost and Quality Controls
- Problem Solving Skills for Managers
- Solve Problems and Make Decisions at Managerial Level
|WSQ Diploma Food Services (Culinary Arts) (DFC)||Entry Requirements
(Singaporeans / Singapore PR / International Applicant)
1Applicants who have successfully completed a preceding course in WSQ Certificate / Higher Certificate / Advanced Certificate in Food Services (Culinary Arts) may be eligible for exemptions in relevant subjects and as such complete the institutional training in less than 12 months.
2Interviewmay be waived for applicants who has successfully completed any preceding WSQ Certificate level(s).
3A pass in any preceding WSQ Certificate level(s) will also be recognized as fulfilment of English proficiency requirements.
|WSQ Diploma in Food Services (Culinary Arts) (DFC)||Singaporean / Singapore PR||International|
|Full Course Fee (Before GST)||$19,938.00||$19,938.00|
|Nett Course Fee (Before GST)||$3,169.80||$19,938.00|
|7% GST on Nett Course Fee||$221.89||$1,395.66|
|Total Nett Course Fee Payable5,6 (Including GST)||$3,391.69||$21,333.66|
|Additional Funding if eligible under Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MES)7||$1,176.00||N.A.|
|Total Nett Course Fee Payable, Including GST, after additional funding from MES||$2,215.69||N.A.|
|Applicants who have successfully completed a preceding course in WSQ Certificate / Higher Certificate / Advanced Certificate in Food Services (Culinary Arts) may be eligible for exemptions in relevant subjects and as such complete the institutional training in less than 12 months. Click here to find out more on course fees applicable after exemptions.|
4Singaporeans and Singapore PRs will be eligible for up to 70% SSG funding for all WSQ Diploma level programmes. A minimum 6-month retention in the industry is recommended as part of the obligation for enjoying this funding. Funding is subjected to SSG’s prevailing corporate policies and final approval.
5Course fee payable include essential training items.
6Singaporeans may also utilize available funds within their Post-Secondary Education Account (PSEA) or SkillsFuture Credits (where applicable) to offset total net course fee payable. All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses. Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website www.skillsfuture.sg/credit to choose from the courses available on the SkillsFuture Credit course directory.
7The SkillsFuture MES is for Singaporeans aged 40 years old and above.
|Description||When Payable||Amountc(incld. GST)|
|Singaporean/ Singapore PR||International|
|Application Fees||Upon application (Non-refundable)||130.00||350.00|
|iPASS||Upon admission (Non-refundable)||NA||400.00|
|SHATEC English Testb||Upon admission
|Re-Admission Fees||Upon admission
|Re-Examination (per WSQ module or ) SHATEC theory subject)||Upon registration of Re-Exam||107.00|
|Re-Examination (per SHATEC practical subject)||214.00|
|Re-Examination with Tutorial (minimum of 2 hours)||214.00 for first 2 hour block
107.00/subsequent hour or part thereof
|Computer Lab / Mock-up Guest Room Based Practical Practice||Upon registration of Practical Practice||26.75 for first 2 hour block
16.05/ subsequent hour or part thereof
|Review / Remarking of Examination Paper (per theory subject)||Upon registration for review / remarking||53.50|
|Late Payment Fee||Upon exceeding the instalment due date||1% per month on amount outstanding, payable together with the amount outstanding|
|Replacement of Student ID||Upon provision of service||5.35|
|Replacement of Practicum / Industrial Attachment Log Book||10.70|
aMiscellaneous fees refer to any non-compulsory and non-standard fees which the student will pay only where applicable. Miscellaneous fees are generally out of pocket expenses which cannot be offset by PSEA or SkillsFuture Credits.
bSHATEC English Test is only registered where the student does not fulfil the English requirements required by SHATEC during application.
cAll prices quoted are accurate at time of print but may be subjected to changes without notice.
Tel: (65) 6415 3510 / 519 / 528 / 554
Brochure and Application Form
Complete your name and email to download
By providing the information set out in this form, I/we agree and consent to SHATEC Institutes Pte. Ltd. and its related corporations (collectively, “SHATEC”), as well as their respective representatives and agents (“Representatives”) collecting, using, disclosing and sharing amongst themselves my/our personal data provided above as well as in the records of SHATEC from time to time, and disclosing such personal data to SHATEC’s authorised service providers, and relevant third parties for purposes reasonably required by SHATEC and its Representatives to:
process my application and administer and conduct the courses, programmes and events I am applying for.
Further, where I have submitted the personal data of third parties to SHATEC, I confirm that I have obtained the consent of these third party individuals for the collection, use and disclosure of their personal data to SHATEC for the same purposes described above.
process my request as set out in this form.
Such purposes are set out in a Data Protection Policy, which is accessible at http://www.shatec.sg or available on request and which I/we confirm I/we have read and understood.